The Philhower Family Association
Celebrating family for over 100 years
Of the original settlers in Hunterdon County, many put down roots that have held fast to the present. The Philhower family's tenure in and around Tewksbury Township and Califon is typical of so many family histories which tell of the development of an area strong in character and tradition.
The patriarch, Philip Wulhauer, emigrated from Germany on the ship Patience, landing in the port of Philadelphia on September 16, 1748 at age 24. He met and wooed his wife on shipboard, and Philip and Anna Maria traveled to Hunterdon County to settle.
Philip leased 14 acres in what is now Tewksbury Township in 1758 and established the Philhower homestead, building first a log cabin--a large room and a loft. He soon built the house that still stands today. It was put together with mortar, lime, sand, and clay, and its walls were 18 inches thick. His land was then 100 acres. Philhowers have occupied the homestead continuously.
Then and now...
The Homestead circa 1891 (at left) and today (at right). It started as a one-room log cabin with a loft. When the stone house was built it was similarly started as one room with a walk-in fireplace with a loft. The house was extended out to the left, and the second floor was added. The kitchen was added to the back of the house around 1930.
The Philhower Family emblem was adopted by the family September 7, 1968.
The family emblem is not a coat-of-arms. Coat-of-arms were only bestowed upon persons who had performed some outstanding military feat, and occasionally for exceptional scientific or political service to the country by a sovereign ruler.
The Philhower emblem design is based on a modification of the Old German Empire emblem and signifies German ancestry. The shield imposed upon the emblem is divided into three parts represented by the three different colors of the German Empire flag -- black, white and red.